The Baldeschi al Corso palace, a name that was given to distinguish it from the Baldeschi palace in Piazza degli Aratri square (currently known as Piazza Cavallotti), is the result of a fusion of pre-existing buildings found in the area between Corso Vannucci, Via Danzetta, Via Baldo, Via dello Struzzo and Via Baglioni. Traces of the Medieval nucleus around which the later, more extensive group of buildings were constructed, are still visible on Via Baldo. This is the place where Baldo degli Ubaldi (or Baldeschi) lived in 1361, the famous jurisconsult and law professor that taught in numerous Italian universities including those in Perugia, Bologna, Pisa, Florence, Padua and Pavia. Baldo’s heirs continued to expand the 14th-century residence. The interior of the palace is adorned with decorations made predominantly in the 19th century. Of particular interest is the Sala delle Muse, a room frescoed by the Tolentino native Mariano Piervittori in 1856, the year in which the man who commissioned the work, the count Ubaldo Baldeschi, was united in marriage with the countess Tecla Balleani. This explains why the coat of arms of the Balleani family appears next to that of the Baldeschi family.
The rooms of the “Piano Nobile” on the first floor, characterized by their rich 19th-century décor, house the art collection of the Cassa di Risparmio di Perugia Foundation. This collection features works such as the “Madonna with Child and Two Angels” by Perugino (1450 ca.-1523); “Our Lady of Assumption between Saints Thomas and Sebastian” and the “Madonna with Child on the Throne, St. Mary Magdalene and St. Lucy”, both works by Matteo da Gualdo (1435 ca. – 1507); the “Deposition in the Tomb” by Lattanzio di Niccolò (1480 – 1527) and Niccolò di Liberatore also known as l’Alunno (1430 ca. – 1502); and the “Madonna with Child” by Bernardino di Betto also known as Pintoricchio (1456-1513), a panel that was returned to Italy after it was purchased at an international auction and returned to its original splendour thanks to a painstaking restoration.
The palace also houses an impressive display of “Renaissance Majolica Works” that is part of the Foundation’s collection – one of the most important in the world – consisting of over one-hundred extraordinary pieces.
Corso Vannucci, 66
For information and opening times visit www.fondazionecariperugiaarte.it