Perugia City still preserves, luckily, an intact proof of Templar presence in its own territory, attested in the sources since the middle of XIII century. In Porta Sole county and, exactly, near Monteluce’s cemetery, rises, indeed, the ex S. Bevignate church, simple and powerful outside, but lightened inside by a touch of slender ribs and, on the counter, by a pictorial, which remembered, for a long time, to distant brothers and to the people of Perugia’s flourishing countries, the mission in Holy Land of the Militia Templi, the religious order of chivarly, which was established in Gerusalemme in 1119 about by the french knight Ugo of Payns. After long and complex works of security, consolidation and restoration, 20th of April 2009 the ex templar church was officially “given back” to Perugia’s people and generally to tourists, visitors and scholars of the Templar Order’s history and iconography; they can finally appreciate the features, in optimal conditions, of this extraordinary architectural structure, which is articulated on two levels, and the subjects of the frescoes that decorate it.
But the most important thing is that Perugia is available for a new public space of great charm and suggestion, intended to cultural events and initiatives for rediscovery and development of the close ties, which the City still preserves with its medieval past and tradition.
Via E. dal Pozzo (zona Monteluce)
Free admission – Three inputs 2,50 €
Reduced Admission 2,50 €
from Tuesday to Sunday: 10 a.m. – 1 p.m./ 3 p.m. – 6 p.m.
closed 25 December